NewportLiveGreen

 

Did You Know?

Did You Know?

  • 8,000 pounds of waste are typically thrown into a landfill during the construction of a 2,000-square-foot home.* Newport Homebuilders recycles all wood and brick waste.

  • Energy Star® appliances save at least 20% over standard appliances.

  • Radiant Barrier reduces summer ceiling heat gains by 15% – 42%.

  • Running a faucet for five minutes uses as much energy as burning a 60-watt bulb for 14 hours.

  • Your home can produce more pollution than your car – 16% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions are generated from energy used in homes.

  • A heavy coat of dust on a light bulb can block up to half the light.

  • America’s home refrigerators use the electricity of 25 large power plants every year.

  • A hot water faucet leaking one drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month – more than one person uses in two weeks.

  • It costs $55 to $75 per year to let one computer sit idle.

  • Energy-smart clothes washers save more water in one year than one person drinks in a lifetime.

  • Incandescent light bulbs use only 10% of the electricity for light; the other 90% is wasted as heat.

  • A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75% less energy than a regular bulb and can last up to four years.

  • A 1/16th crack around a window frame lets in as much cold air as leaving the window open three inches. Every year, more than $13-billion worth of energy leaks from homes through small holes and cracks – more than $150 per family!

  • Some new energy-smart refrigerators use less electricity than a light bulb.

  • Dishwashers use six gallons less water than dishes washed by hand – more than 2,000 gallons per year.

  • Opening refrigerator doors allows 30% of the cold air to escape.

Texas Quick Facts*

  • Texas leads all other states in both total production and consumption of energy.

  • Texas leads the nation in both oil and gas production.

  • Texas is the nation’s leading refining state, with more than one fourth of U.S. oil refining capacity.

  • The Colonial Pipeline, originating in Houston, is the largest refined product pipeline in the U.S.

  • The Texas Interconnect power grid, which serves most of the state, is one of only three power grids in the continental U.S.

* Energy Information Administration